Friday, January 6, 2023

Day Four

Big T was better Thursday morning but not 100%. He stopped after 550 yards and said he was tappiing out for the day. I understood. Ribs are tricky and can be very painful. After he left, I swam a bit more. Then I diagnosed myself with a severe case of the lazies. Let more correct that: the Lazies. I didn't want to do anything. I get like that sometimes. I went home after 1,100 unispired yards. 

After checking my email, I found out that the new gym equipment was "Out for delivery." Boy, that put a spring in my step. Earlier in the week, I went to Tractor Supply and picked up two more stall matts. They were still in the bed of my truck. So when I got home at 4:10, I changed clothes and immediatly began preparing for UPS's arrival. 

I dragged the matts to the back, got out the leaf blower and began to clean up. I moved stuff, threw trash away, and installed the new matts where the new machine will go. Then I checked my watch. Five o'clock. He should be here any minute now. 

I decided to lift before I ran so I could hear him when he drove up. I did my full push routine listening for the distinctive sound of a UPS truck every second of the workout. When I finished at 6:30, he still wasn't there. 

After waiting a while, I decided to run but stay on Crockett. I wanted to be there when he showed up so I could get him to help me get the machine into the backyard and preferably inside Plate City. So I ran down to Weightman and back, then to Kenneth Street, to Claiborne, to Crockett, to Weightman, and so on and so on. The whole time I was trying to breath quietly so I could hear that truck and start sprinting home if I did. 

I finished running about 8:15. I hung around outside and stretched, all the while listening for a UPS truck. Finally I went inside, but when I did, I went to the living room where I could easily tell if he drove up. About a quarter of nine, I peed on the fire and went to the bedroom to retire for the night. 

I was almost asleep when the doorbell rang. What?!?!? Yeah, it was him at 9:51. Angry? Not a chance, and to make things better, he had that thing on a real dolly and rolled it around the side of the house, through the gate, into Plate City, and dropped it right where I asked him to. If I hadn't been so caught off guard, I would have tipped him. I know those guys are well paid, but I appreciated the service. But I was out there without my wallet or my shoes even. I asked him if he had to get up and go again in the morning. He answered in the affirmative. Having a real job is tough. Don't think for a moment that I don't appreciate my work with the time off I get.

What is the machine? you ask. I will tell you tomorrow along with pictures and plans of how I plan to use it. Stay tuned. Don't change the channel, and don't dare even touch that dial. You don't know where that dial has been. 

No comments:

Post a Comment