Sunday, January 1, 2023

New Year's Eve

It was 8:00 a.m. before I dragged out of bed and then had to make my fuss over CC. She sleeps on top of me all night, but gets up a little earlier than I do. When I get up she comes running, and if I don't make a fuss, she gets her feelings hurt, and I have to pay for it. Never mind that I am about to fall down and pee in my pants. I have to pet her and talk to her incessantly for several minutes or there will be trouble.

I wasn't up long, just long enough to pee and pour a cup of coffee, before I went back to bed to sip and type. "Where's the blogpost already?" was not something I was going to hear again. Not today. While I pecked at the keyboard, my mind kept going to the pool. Usually, I have grown a little lazy by Saturday. This Saturday was no exception. Origninally I had planned to swim, not long, but six days in a row should jump start my tune up. But while I pondered my energy and drive, I received a group text message from Debbie saying there was a problem at the little pool. It's one foot low "but swimmable." Well not for me. One foot low meant no flip turns on the east end so problem solved: no swimming Saturday.

But I did need to lift. Ususally Saturday is my deadlift and strongman day. But since it was New Year's Eve and Penny and I were going to Hillbilly Heaven (Yes, we talked it over with the family. Penny was feeling good and they were OK with being aroung her), I thought I would run out there. That meant no leg work at the gym. I was, however, still short on a pull workout so that is what I did.

By the time I get this far out, traffic thins
and it is easier to take a pee.

I think I watched some football. I did. It was Alabama versus Kansas State. But I needed to leave the house by 1:30 at the latest so I only saw three touchdowns in a short period of time before I was out the door and shuffling south. It was over the bridge, Market Street, Grenada Blvd, Bowie Lane, and across Highway 82 onto Humprey's Highway. The temp was around 60 so I was dressed light but still shuffling slow. The miles built up little by little until I was at 10 and at the foot of the big hill. Then I heard a vehicle approaching from the rear and it was slowing down. An SUV pulled up beside me and the driver's window came down. Behind the wheel was a nice-looking woman who quipped, 

"Need a ride?"

"No."

"Well you don't look like you're going to make it running like that."

"I'm going all the way to Ruscoe Road." Ruscoe Road is the long route.

"I don't think you'll make it if you turn on Hillbilly Heaven Road." Hillbilly Heaven Road is the most direct route.

And with that as she drove away I wondered why my wife won't tell me what she really thinks.

So I ran up that monster hill again, then shuffled on past Hillbilly Heaven Road (Carroll County Road 231), and kept going. Then I notice for the first time how large the timber was in that area.

Whatever problems Carroll County has, a lack
of natural beauty is not one of them.

I ran past the the Stone Road where I turned last week, and eventually I made it to Ruscoe Road. It was getting dark by this time.

This photograph doesn't reveal the darkness
that was beginning to settle in on me.

When I got a bit down Ruscoe Road, I stopped and walked some. I was up around 15 miles now. It was very dark, but the moon was bright enough to cast tree shadows on the road I ran on. I kept watching the shadows it see if something came out from behind one of the trees. It it had, you would still be able to hear me scream. I alternated running and walking until I made it in with 16.26 miles of running. Not a bad way to end the year.

At Hillbilly Heaven, we cooked and ate steaks, watched Christmas movies, and lounged around like it was a job. Penny and I drove home around 9:30. When we got out of her truck, we could hear the funfire (read "gunfire") going off south of the river. Inside, I turned the TV on just in time to see the last two plays of the Georgia/Ohio State game. I was not surprised at the closeness. I was scared for Georgia in this one. People made to big of a deal about Ohio State's loss to Michagan. Looking at the score, it looked like they got lit up. Looking at the game, they got burned on a few big plays. That is a big difference. Plus, when good
teams lose, they come back angry. 

So Alabama won, Georgia won, I worked out at Plate City, and I ran 16 miles. I ate a steak and spent time with family. It was a good day. Happy New Year to all two of my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment