Saturday, January 28, 2023

Kilbourne, Louisiana

It was the first Friday since my wife retired. She has been retired now for three full days. We slept in and then drank coffee. I wrote the blog post about the new machine. I had hoped to use it again Friday, but things didn't work out. I took a run in late morning and went 8.15 miles. That was part of my taper. The Mississippi River Marathon is next Saturday.

I didn't go to the pool. I did not go to the gym. We went to Louisiana to eat fish. 

WHAT!?!?! You drive two states over to eat fish? Is there not a balm in Gilead? 

There is, but sometimes a little drive is a nice thing. Besides, we were celebrating my wife's birthday. I am married to an old woman. But she still looks good. And it's not as far as it sounds. Arkansas is only sixty-five miles from our driveway. And north east Louisiana is only twenty-five miles from Lake Village, Arkansas. So a ninety mile drive now and then for a nice meal is not too far to go.

On our way down, Penny and I tried to add up how many times we have made the journey. We made the count by adding up the friends we have eaten there with. The last time was with Rhonda and Jimmy Pelly who met us there from Rayville, Louisiana. 

Was it good? 

Would we make the trip if it wasn't? If you want to give it a go, the Old Hardware Fish House is in Kilbourne, La which sits one foot over the state line from Arakansas. You get on Highway 65 at Lake Village and head south. At Eudora, you get on another highway that goes south. Look it up. You won't have any trouble finding the fish house once you reach town. It's on the side of the highway where all the cars are. Cars are attracted to good food.

We got there before opening time so we took the oportunity to explore the town. We drove every street within the city limits. It took about ten minutes. From what I gather from looking on the internet, Kilbourne has a human poplulation of 419. But I have never been anywhere that has so many cows in town. I bet we saw at least 900 cows making the cow population double the human one. 

I haven't traveled the world. But I have been to Kilbourne, Louisiana, and to Ecru, Mississippi. Not many people alive today can say that. Can you? Make the trip to one of these. Friday and Saturday nights are best for Louisiana. 

A couple of tips: don't order the tea, and the whole fish is the bomb. With our runaway inflation, they now charge you by weighing your plate. Plates for me. I went back three times. 

The bill? 

A touch high. But treat yourself. You are worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment