Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Second Training Day

The second training day of the year found me back at work. Yes, I am both excited and not about this. The break is always too short, but part of me is ready to get back on the job.

Before I went to the school, however, I met Tyler at the pool. He gave it a go but was unable to swim. He just returned from a skiing vacation where he suffered a snowboard crash and injured some ribs. I swam

  600
  4 X 75 @ WIFL
  4 X 50 @ WIFL
  200 25/25 free/back
  total: 1,300

Why the reduction in yardage? Read the two paragraphs above.

After work, I went by Tractor Supply and picked up two more stall matts for Plate City. I have something on the way. The stall matts and the new machine will put the City over the top. 

Back home there was no time for lounging. I had to put on my running kit and hit the streets pronto. I shuffled 8.15 miles. That was a first for me. Huh? Back-to-back mediums.

One of the hallmarks of ultra-marathon training is back-to-back long runs. I have never really done a back-to-back long run, that is a long run today and another one tomorrow. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, my 6.09 Monday added to the 8.15 Tuesday was my first back-to-back medium runs. The back-to-backs are supposed to be the cat's meow of endurance building. I always avoided them because I never felt like I was fit enough for one, and I feared recovery issues. 

Why this one? I simply ran what I felt like those two nights, and that is what happened. That and the fact that I registered for the Mississippi Trail 50 may have put a little fear into my soul. Yeah, I am signed up for a marathon in February and a 50-miler in March. 

I did. 

What? 

Go to the City after gettin up early and swimming, working all day, shopping, and running 8.15 miles. I did my pull workout with Pee Wee in the dark. Plate City after dark is a special place to be. 

All of that made for one full day. Surprisingly, however, I was not overly tired or sleepy and did not rest well last night. Maybe that was because I drank some tea after lunch. I'll try to avoid that from now on. At the moment, I am contemplating reclining on the floor. Yes, I am that tired AND sleepy. Praise the Lord anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment