Saturday, January 12, 2019

Big Friday

It's no secret that I hate working on Fridays. So when my boss said, "Leave," she didn't have to twist my arm. In nothing flat, I was out of the building, in my truck, and headed east to Greenwood where I had cats waiting at home and a pool sitting idly at Twin Rivers. I'll have time to get a big one, I thought as I sped down the highway, freedom feeling good as always.

I hadn't done a big one this week. Monday I took off due to not feeling well. Tuesday I swam a paltry 2,200, and Wednesday I lifted but doubted my ability to add a swim and stay well. Thursday I pootled a little farther, 2,600. Now I was feeling well and had hours unfettered.

At home I quickly changed clothes, grabbed my swimming stuff, and headed for the pool. I never make hard plans when it comes to swimming. You have to listen to your body and sometimes it says no. Friday it said yes. I started my long, slow warm up, as usual, and began to think of different ways to structure the swim. I decided after my usual 2,000 to just keep swimming. I went on to 3,000 then 4,000, and then 5,000. Eight days ago, I went 5,300 before stopping to do sets. I'll do 5,350, I thought. At 5,350, I kept going. 

There were other people in the pool. I didn't mind. We made it work, all four of us in a tiny two-lane pool. Eventually, they got out, and I had it to myself. Two hours, I thought. I need to go for two hours, and that's what I did stopping six seconds over two hours at 6,600 yards. I still felt strong. It was time for something different, though, so I did 4 X 50 medium paddles and then cooled down with 200 small paddles giving me a total of 7,000 yards in 2:06:40, my longest of the year, of two years, and my longest ever in January. In the past, 6,000 is the most I have ever done at Delta State because of time constraints. 

I could have done more, but that is for another day. It is still a long time from Chicot Challenge VIII which I need to write about soon. I have plans; I hope the other guys have plans also. I hope our plans match God's. If they do, we will be successful. Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment