Wednesday, January 23, 2019

MLK Day

A day off always feels like a gift from God. They are. For MLK Day, Penny and I lounged around the house a couple of hours before I learned that Twin Rivers was putting chemicals in the pool, and I couldn't swim until 3:00 pm. So I went outside and finished a project I had been working on moving the T-bar and building a plate tree. Of course I lifted. On the bench I did

11 X 95
10 X 115
5 X 140
5 X 140
5 X 140

On the incline bench I did

13 X 95
9 X 106
6 X 117 

I also did some squats and a bunch of rotator cuff stuff.

At the pool, I swam

2,050
3 X 150 @ 5:30
550 small paddles
total: 3,500 yards plus 200 kick with fins.

The 3 X 300 was a new set. I wanted an endurance set that worked heart rate and threshold, so I guessed at the interval and hit it just right. The 5:30 turnaround was perfect. I did the 300s in just under 5:00 minutes so I had about :40 of rest which was enough to bring my heart rate down but not to full recovery. I will do this set a lot and variations of it. One variation I am considering is adding another 300. Anther variation is to cut the rest time a second per week. But for now I will leave it alone and repeat it a few times.

I usually swim first and then lift. Lifting first usually wrecks my swim, but I felt pretty good in the water despite the amply weight session. It was a good day. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment