Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Monday Funday

My students are writing and so am I. That is one thing I love about my job. Classes at MDCC started yesterday, and I am as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine. I only have six classes so my money will be down for months, but that gives me more time to train. Not only that, but for the first time in fifteen years, I have the two courses I love the most: Old Testament Survey and Film as Literature. These are course I love to teach, courses that make me want to get out of bed in the morning. And I have them back to back on Tuesday and Thursday on the Moorhead campus. Thank you, Jesus and thank you, Renee Moore.

Monday after work, I went to the pool and swam

2,000 38:33 (1:55)
11 X 50 @ 1:12
250 small paddles
5 X 50 @ 1:09
250 small paddles
total: 3350 scys + 3,061 meters.

That was a nice swim and the kind that will make me faster. I have gotten a little lazy on the 50s lately and it has shown up in my times. 

Trevor and I hit Plate City. He is training for a strongman competition and I am training to swim so our lifting is diverging from each other more and more. However, we still do a lot of the same things. Monday is normally bench day and I did

10 X 95
10 X 115
8 X 135
8 X 135
8 X 135
4 X 140

Incline BP

6 X 95
10 X 100
10 X 105

On the dead lift, I pulled

10 X 55
3 X 100

That's pretty wimpy stuff, but it is a start, and I need a start and a slow one. Last week I began to do a little. I have not dead lifted in a long time. It is an important lift that produces functional strength. But a few years ago, I hurt my back doing that move. I had built up slowly over several months and had warmed up thoroughly that day. When I pulled and something pained in my back, it caused quite a fear in me. It turns out that it was only a pulled muscle, but it was a couple of weeks before I was sure of that. I hadn't dead lifted since until recently. Now the weights are super light, but I will rebuild.

After Trevor left, I did a shuffle. Not much of one because I am starting over again for the 168th time. I went .34 of a mile at over 14:00 minutes per mile. Terrible, but I am grateful to God to be able to do that. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment