Thursday, January 10, 2019

Holiday Fever (Posted very Late)

I have it in spades. Holiday fever. It is almost here and I am like a little boy waiting on Christmas to get my first BB gun. Currently, MDCC is in our penultimate week of school. Next week we have exams and then we are out for a few weeks. I have been telling all of my students who owe me work it get it in because I am going into the Witness Protection Program as soon as I enter grades next Wednesday morning. I can't wait for a number of reasons.

One reason is I will get to swim a lot. Over the break, I plan to set of couple of records for the year. One record is my weekly total. This year, my biggest week of swim training has totaled 20,000 meters. I hope to top that since I will have the time to swim as well as the time to rest to get it done. Volume is always important in building endurance and even speed. Not only do I want to set my week's distance record but also the day's record distance. Right now my largest training day has been 6,300 yards set just last week and I hope to re-break this week. But I also want to push that up one more time. Furthermore, I plan a lot of testing, that is swimming some key distances for time. I hope I can break my recent 500 time, swim a 400 for time, and bring down my recent 100 and 50 times. That is what I have been working on lately, trying to get those sprint time lower. When they come down, so does everything else.

Not only do I plan to do a lot of swimming, but weightlifting is on the agenda also. With the added time, I plan to add sets to all my key moves, the ones that make me stronger in the water. I also have on the agenda to make some improvements to Plate City Gym. I am most of the time scheming on something to do to make better the best back-yard gym in the county.

Walking even makes the list. Once more, I am rehabbing my left knee, my good one. My good knee is now my bad one. That's not good news but unfortunately, that's the way the ball sometimes bounces. Walking and lifting should put me back to shuffling by the end of the break. I need to run to lose weight and boost my cardio for the pool. It make a difference, especially for the middle distance events like the 500 which is the longest swim the Senior Olympics does in the pool. I wish they had a mile or longer, maybe a 5K. But I guess they think us geezer jocks can't handle the distance.

Besides swimming, lifting, and walking, writing is high on the list of things to do while out of school. I have become pretty addicted to scribbling in here whether anyone ever reads it or not. Surprisingly, however, I find out from time to time that more people read that I think. Every now and then, I'll bump into someone who asks me about something I posted in here. More often than not, however, someone, (several people) will ask me about something they would know the answer to if they even glanced. For instance, around May people will start asking me if I am doing the Chicot Challenge this year. I think, duh, I write about it every week in the blog and on Facebook. But I always politely answer.

Cats, how can time off work, not include cats. Of course most days will be slow start ones, ones where I drink coffee, peck at a keyboard, and hang out with the felines. They love it when I am home and we have fun just taking it easy. Cats are wonderful nappers and hangers. I learn from them to relax and not worry the small stuff. And to cats, it's all small stuff unless you forget to fill their food bowl. 

One more thing on the list is hunting. I don't do a lot of that anymore, but Pee Wee and Bear have been yearning to get in that truck and go somewhere. Pee Wee is constantly hunting even in the backyard. He is looking, sniffing, trailing, and barking. If he can't find something to bark at, he will bark at nothing. He is a super high energy dog and he needs more room than he has at the rear of 333 West Monroe. We will make some trips to Carroll County to chase squirrels and maybe a trip or two to the fish pond where he loves to run and get after ducks.

So there you have it, what I plan, yearn to do after next week. Thank  you, Jesus for giving me the time to play like a little boy. I guess at base, that is what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment