Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The Blizzard of 2019

I'm in bed, the coffee is good, and I have the day off. Thanks to the Great Mississippi Blizzard of 2019, I am planning to drink an entire pot of coffee, hang out with the cats, and swim like its Friday. But it's only Tuesday.

I feel I must preface the comments I am about to make with a couple of disclaimers. First, I am a big believer in and fan of meteorologists. I am NOT a weatherman/woman basher. I think they are professionals who do an amazing job and are right way more than they are wrong. Second, I like a day off work as much as the next guy. Scratch that. I like a day off MORE than the next guy. But I tell you right now, I am not making this day up on April the 6th when I am scheduled to swim in the Mississippi State Senior Olympics because someone else doesn't understand delta weather. I am not! School should never have been cancelled.

Flashback. A few years ago, the weather was predicted to rain overnight and the low was to get to 33. MDCC cancelled classes. I never knew why, but before the day was over, a makeup day was scheduled. To say I was pissed is an understatement. And the makeup day was put way back in the spring when the weather is good, the water warm, and I had swims to train for.

Fast forward to today. We were supposed to receive "significant accumulation of snow." I have lived long enough around here to know that when we are predicted to receive a "significant accumulation of snow," we get a mild dusting in about one in twenty of those predictions. When it comes to snow, I believe it when I see it. It just doesn't snow here. They get more snow in Jackson, way to our south, than we get in the delta. I heard a meteorologist explain it once, but I have forgotten all the details.

Not only that, but the weather forecast changed "significantly" over the last few days. The last forecast I saw, before classes were cancelled, predicted all of our "significant snow" ending in the wee hours of the morning while the temperatures were to be 35 degrees. Oh wait, we cancelled classes once at a predicted 33. It rarely gets as cold as predicted around here. And the last time I checked, water begins to freeze at 32. If the laws of nature have changed, I missed the memo, but I've missed lots of memos in the past. Someone bring me up to date. Please.

It did get cold after it didn't snow. But the roads are clear while the grocery store shelves are free of milk and bread. Good eating to all you gullible people. You deserve to eat milk and bread for a week. And thank you, Jesus, for the day off. I needed it.

The great blizzard of 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment