Tuesday, April 30, 2019

First Outdoor Swim

It was a real day. It was a full day. It was a real full day. Not only that, but I did my first outdoor swim of the year. But let me start at the beginning.

I got up early and listened to the birds sing while I shuffled to Twin Rivers. I went 1.5 miles in the dark, and I loved it although my pace was about walking speed. Really. At the gym, I did 5:00 minutes on the rower. It felt real. It felt good. But it didn't feel real good.

I shuffled another 1.52 miles home giving me 3.02 for the day and five minutes of rowing. 

After work, I went the Leflore Steel to get another order on the list. On the way home, I went by the pool and since it was so warm I stopped and got Robert (the pool man at Twin Rivers) to take a temperature reading. It was 78. 

Cha Ching!!!!

I went home, changed, and came back. Being used to 88 degree water made 78 of the outdoor pool feel ice cold. But it only hurt a minute or two. One lap of swimming, and I was enjoying the refreshing feeling of cold water. I swam

2,600 55:49  (2:08)
2 X 200 @ 4:12
2 X 150 @ 3:15
3 X 100 @ 2:16
400 small paddles
100 easy
total: 4,100 long course meters.

This swim reminded me that long course is much more difficult than short course.The 200s were at a medium pace and were much more tiring than 200s hard in the short course pool. But this is the kind of training I need. I am a little faster at long course than I was last summer, but I'm still not where I need to be.

After swimming, I went to Plate City Gym and did rotator cuff work, some squats and on the bench press, I did

12 X 70
10 X 105
5 X 135
5 X 135
4 X 140
4 X 140
3 X 145

If you follow closely, you might notice that I dropped another warm up set and another rep off the main sets. In short, the volume of the lifting keeps creeping downward while the volume of the swimming creeps upward. 

It was a full day, a three-workout day, the kind I like and need. Thank you, Jesus for a good one. Help my body to make the necessary repairs and adjustments to be able to do Chicot this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment