Sunday, August 30, 2020

Dealing with the Bear

Saturday presented me with a fatigue that I have rarely felt. The training and the strain of work combined to whip me pretty well. Plus my age is probably starting to be a factor.

I decided before the day even got here that I would not swim. Danny wanted to do breakfast. I think he forgot that I work now. Since I needed a big swim Friday, we set our morning meal up for Saturday. We went to Acey's and had a good meal and a good visit.

Back home, I napped and studied and worked some for MDCC. Running was out. The legs, as well as my whole system, needed rest. What I had planned was to lift.

Simon was working on the new fence/gate. He is doing a bang up job. When he finishes, we will be able to let Pee Wee off the chain for good so he can rule his backyard like the little king he is.

I did benches and lots of rotator cuff work. I thought about doing some strongman stuff, but I had wasps in my farmer's handles. On the bench, I pressed

15 X 100
11 X 120
  4 X 140
  4 X 140

You might notice one small change. Last week on my heavy day, I did 7 X 140. I have been reducing volume in the gym to give me a little more muscle energy for the pool. But intuitively it seemed right to do two smaller sets which yielded one more total rep at 140. I have long known that 140 pounds is for me a threshold weight. That is where I begin to get stronger. When I learned about percentages, that is percentages in relation to one-rep-maxes, I found that 140 was at the 80% mark. Cha ching. Eighty percent begins the strength building weight, the place power lifters live.

So it was a good day. Then fence gate is finished. Pee Wee is free. I am stronger. Chicot is closer. Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment