Thursday, August 13, 2020

Free to Good Home

A Mississippi Kite circled above, 200 feet over the pool and 200 feet below the wispy early morning clouds. Sparrows gathered in the ramp at the water's edge to feast on the buffet of floating bugs. Just another day in paradise. John was there already, only thirty-five minutes late. I had sum 700 and stopped to fire up my other Garmin for a set of 100s so John would race me. He declined, so I just did some more easy swimming. Another 600 was followed by 500 with small paddles. I wasn't feeling it so I tapped out after that mere 1,800 meters.

Then I had to drive to Moorhead to work for the day. And I actually did work, producing and printing copies of four syllabi, publishing seven courses in Canvas, and printing roles for all my classes. Not only that, but I had to come up with a seating arrangement for social distancing, and send messages to students to either show up for class Monday or wait until Wednesday. Social distancing is going to mean a rotation of who can show up when. What? Yeah. And the ones who can't show up, I have to teach online. In short, I have to teach all my classes in person and online with the students free to come to class or not. And I get to do it all for a pay cut. Yes, I am very excited to start the new semester.

I finally did get to go home. On the way, I stopped at Walmart and found out that we all had to go in and out of one door, all the other entrances being shutdown. I guess with COVID, they want to concentrate all the germs in one place. I swear, everyday I live, I find myself more at odds with this world. If it weren't for bad sense, we'd have no sense at all.

A TV.

Huh?

I bought a TV. Mine had taken to turning itself on and off, mostly off. If you want a mildly used TV and has a mind of its own, it is free to a good home.

So I went home and got the new TV unpacked, plugged, and playing. Then I did another iteration of my 5K Special: a set of high rep squats followed immediately by some fast(er) running. After squatting 21 reps at 56 pounds, I then hit a hard .5, followed by .4 easy, then another hard .5 followed by an easy shuffle home for a total of 2.21 miles. The halfs were 9:40 and 9:50 respectively. I was pleased with that. The effort felt a little easier than it did the first time I did this, a week ago, doing the fast running as a timed mile.

The hope is that if I can keep this up, along with decent volume, and losing a little weight, by the time the spring races roll around, I will be ready to rock some good times. That is the hope, that the spring races come back, and that I rock some good times. 

Thank you, Jesus, for a full and productive day.

No comments:

Post a Comment