Thursday, August 6, 2020

5K Special

I did not talk to John. He was eleven minutes late getting to the pool and then it took him another eleven minutes to get in. That's John. I did a straight swim of 5,300 meters. Not bad, but slow, very slow. It took me 2:12:53.

At the Hideout, I hatched a plot, a plan, something new. I would do all my lifting and running before lunch and be done for the day. Since it was leg day and I usually go heavy on Saturday, I thought about a high-rep set of squats immediately followed by a mile run for time. Then, of course, I would run another easy mile home to cool down.

So I hit a 20 rep set-- I am ashamed to tell the weight. I am even ashamed to tell the time for the mile run, but I am: 9:57. What!?!?!? Yeah, that was all I could do. I have gotten really slow. But since my knee is feeling better, and I have honored my commitment to leg work, maybe I can start cranking out some interval running and get my times down.

I got back to the Hideout with 2.22 total miles. Then I did some more leg work, light stuff. I did calf raises, standing and seated, and lunges. That was it. I was done, through, finished.

I call my little workout, the squat/timed mile, a 5K Special. That is because it should transfer well into 5K performance. The lactic acid produced by the squats followed by the above threshold pace running should produce the ability to work with acid and it should raise the Vo2 max, not to mention the neuro-muscular effect of the faster running. If I can do this workout once a week for a few months, maybe I will get back to to real slow instead of just real, real, real, old-man slow.

Not a bad day. It was good work but not exhausting. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment