Wednesday, August 5, 2020

John

I don't talk bad about all my friends. Just John.

We were supposed to meet at the pool at 6:00 a.m. Of course he wasn't there. I swam for a little over an hour and got out. I know I should not have let it affect me, but it did, and I tapped out early. When John is there, it is easier to stay in the pool and swim.

After I got home, ate breakfast, and began drinking coffee, I noticed that I had a missed call. It was John. "I'm on my way," he said. The call was made three minutes ago.

Twenty minutes later, I had another missed call and voice mail. "I'm at the pool. Where are you?"

That did not even irritate me. I just shook my head as I often do. Another twenty minutes passed and I got a call from Hal Williams, John's cousin. He was in Jackson. Debbie, the director of Twin Rivers, had called him. Something was wrong with John. Could I check it out?

I left immediately. 

When I arrived at Twin Rivers and walked across the parking lot, I saw John in the pool. He is easy to spot. He wears a hunter orange cap so I can keep up with him while I swim laps. Inside, I asked for Debbie. When the lady behind the counter found out who I was, she motioned me back and told me the story. John was acting strange. He was complaining that he couldn't see. They thought something was wrong.

Thanking her, I went to the pool deck where John was attempting to climb the ramp out. "Zane," he said when he saw me, "I can't see."

I helped him out of the pool and to his car. "Get in. I'll drive you home."

"How will you get back?"

"I'll run."

So I got John home, inside, and I left shuffling. I did not go straight, but added distance, some of it on the river trail, and wound up with 8.2 miles. 

What a morning.

Late in the afternoon, I went to Monroe and moved a couple of things. Then Pee Wee and I hit the gym. It was pull day. On the Lenny rows, I did

20 X 105
18 X 115
17 X 125
15 X 135
  8 X 140

I did other stuff. I was tired. I went inside. I hung out with the cat. It 
was a good day.

Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment