Friday, August 28, 2020

John Again

It's 5:54 a.m. and I am driving to the pool. My phone rings. It's John. Reluctantly I answer.

"Heeey!!!" he yells so loud I want to punch him in the throat, but he is not present.

"What?" I whisper.

"I just woke up. I'm about to leave for the pool. I'll be there."

We were supposed to meet at 6:00. I told you before how I once said to him that however long it takes to get somewhere is how early you should leave home. His response was to ask me how long it took him to get to the pool. I used to think he left home at the exact time he was scheduled to be somewhere. Now I think he gets out of bed the time we are supposed to swim.

I know how long it takes me to get anywhere I go to more than once per month. It takes me five minutes to get to the Greenwood Center. It takes me twenty-six minutes to get to Centerville. It takes me five minutes to get to Greenwood Animal Hospital. It takes me six minutes to get to the pool. John doesn't even know how long it takes him to get to the pool.

Little wonder he is always late. He does not own a watch. He was an only child, and that is how I look at him: as a child, an only child who is spoiled beyond tolerance.

Sorry, I just needed to vent. 

Do I feel better?

A little.

No comments:

Post a Comment