Friday, February 12, 2021

Bouncing Ahead

This week mirrors the week before the River. I plan on running from Minter City and having a big mileage cycle. That week, I did not run on Thursday. I don't remember why I did not, but this time around, I knew even a very short run would put me up a little in the mileage total. I shuffled 1.32 miles and now have a small lead over two weeks ago.

By the way, you may wonder if doing the 23.77 one week before the River had any impact on my poor performance last Saturday. I don't wonder. I know it did. I knew going in that that was no way to taper. But I planned on training through anyway. I did my longest run in four years one week before the race and then maxed my squat the Tuesday of race week. I knew that was not good programing for the short term, but I was thinking long term. Still, I expected to run better than I did. Much better.

Now I wonder if my legs will fail me out there today. The high is supposed to only reach 39. That means I have to keep moving or I can get myself into real trouble. I guess that is why God created cell phones on the eighth day.

Before I did roadwork Thursday, I went to the pool where I swam

1,650 31:31

800 for time 13:19

200 medium paddles 3:47

3 X 50 back

25 breast/25 free :56

total: 2,800 yards = 2,559 meters.

You might notice that this practice resembles Wednesday's. Then I swam 1,500/750. Thursday was 1,650/800. The long warmup plus a longish swim for time is both an endurance builder and a stamina set. That's the kind of training I like to do. It fits my body and my mindset.

Well, I went to the pool, then did a very short run. Yes, the gym, despite the cold, was next. It was pull day. Since I plan the big run Friday, I did not do the landmine rows because they put a lot of strain on the low back and the whole posterior chain. I'll need that coming from Minter City. So after warming up with reverse flys, I did one-armed bent rows for

8 X 55

7 X 60

6 X 65

4 X 70

3 X 75

Then it was time for lat pull downs:

27 X 50

21 X 60

18 X 65

17 X 67.5

I added one set of the Swim Pull. I had not done this in a long time. I don't know why I have not. It is THE primary builder for sports specific strength in the water.

So I had a good day. Now I need to start getting ready for my epic journey run. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment