Saturday, February 27, 2021

"Take This Job"

I stayed in bed a long time Friday morning. Expecting a call from the Social Security Office at 10:00, I decided to lounge until after the call came in. The SS man called at exactly 10:00 a.m. I signed up for Medicare which is supposed to begin June 1, 2021. It's hard for me to believe I am this old. The good thing is, after June 1, it will be easier to say, "Take this job and shove it/ I ain't workin' here no more."

That is a line from an old Johnny Paycheck song if you don't remember. No, I don't plan on saying that. I still like my job and want to keep working. But it's nice to know that I am getting close to the time when I will not HAVE to work. I always heard that is a good feeling. I never could imagine that I would ever get there myself. But here I am.

After the phone call, I decided to dress for a run. The rain made things look kind of sketchy in that regard, but I dressed and made it out the door. I have that new rain jacket and the temp was almost 60. I shuffled along and made up the course as I went. Eventually, I went over the bridge, out Wade Road, and then to Money Road. I was home at the Hideout after 11.61 miles.

Those miles brought me up to thirty for the week. That makes three straight, and four of the last five, at thirty plus for me. In my world, that is big mileage. Today? Weights, most likely. Maybe some swimming. I think my running muscles need a rest.

No, I did not do anything else. When I got home, I took some nutrition, and took to bed. The day was pretty well shot anyway. It was mid-afternoon, and my energy was gone. It was a good day, one that will move me closer the Geezer Run fitness. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment