Thursday, February 18, 2021

More Snow Training

I've been tearing it up during the snow lockdown. I went out again on the ice and shuffled 6.24 miles. The footing was a little worse than it was the day before. I don't know what today will bring, but according to the weather reports, Saturday holds the promise of some real running. In this ice, I have to tip around. It is like driving. You can't use too much power, you can't change directions quickly, and you can't go too fast. Any violation of that could get your butt busted in a hurry. I have fallen only once. Coming off the levee two days ago, I went down. No harm. Thank you, Jesus.

At the pool, I got to do the Meet practice I wanted to do the day before. I swam

2,000 38:05

The Meet

200 @ 4:00 (3:20)

100 @ 2:00 (1:37)

100 back @ 3:00 (2:07)

500 (8:44)

Then 500 medium paddles

total: 3,400 yards = 3,107 meters.

I was a little disappointed in the 500, but that is a lot of swimming in a short period of time. After the long 2,000 yard warmup, I did my whole swim meet in less than eighteen minutes. The meet will last over four hours. The 200 is one of the first events held. The 500 is literally the last event of the day. So anything I can do alone that compressed, I can do much faster in a meet with rest between events.

Notice that my ability to single space has once more disappeared. Lovely.

At Plate City, it was time for legs. After my max out a few weeks ago, I am taking a different tack for the leg stuff. I am now emphasizing higher reps and lower volume while my running mileage goes up. When the when the ice clears, I will resume the wheel barrel work. And when the sled comes in, I will use it a lot. On the squat, I warmed up with 30 ATG squats and then went to my twenty reps set at 60 pounds. I felt that one a bit. Then I did a set at 75 pounds, lots of leg curls and leg extensions, some calf work, tibial work, and hip flexor work.

It was a good day. The miles and the yardage are piling up, my weight is coming down, and I can't wait to run on solid footing without twenty pounds of clothing. I think I will go faster. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment