Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Snowmageddon

Tuesday was a solid day. Our snowmageddon continues. I went out for a run around 10:00 a.m. The temp was low 20s, and ice covered everything. The footing wasn't too bad, and I headed out the gravel road. I went out into the fields. I had done a little of that in the past, but now the snow and iced filled in all the dips and low spots and gave a firm footing. This opened up new running venues for me. While out there, I saw a beautiful hawk fly out of a tree. I also saw bird, rabbit, and even some bobcat tracks. I went 7.25 miles before returning to the Hideout.

At the pool, I had determined to do a long warmup and a new practice I have named "The Meet." I programed into my watch all the events that I signed up for in the 2020 Senior Olympics. That swim meet was cancelled, and this year's meet remains unannounced. If it comes off, however, I plan to do the 200 free, 100 free, 100 back, and 500 free in that order. The reason I am doing four events is they will only allow four events. So in my watch I programmed these off a 2:00 base except for the back which I did on 3:00. So I will do the entire swim meet like this:

200 free @ 4:00
100 free @ 2:00
100 back @ 3:00
500 free

If I can pull that off in decent times, I know I will be fit. (Notice that my ability to single space has returned). I did the long warmup -- 1,850 in 35:32. Then an entire family came in: husband, wife, and two small children. I do not feel comfortable swimming wide open and coming off the walls with a strong push with kids in the pool. I fear T-boning one of them. So I left after I finished the 1,850. Maybe today.

I did not do the gym thing Monday. I did, however, go to Plate City Tuesday. Yes, it was cold, and I had to do both push and pull. Then bench press went like this:

14 X 100
  7 X 120
  5 X 145
  2 X 150
  2 X 150
  2 X 150
  3 X 145
  7 X 130

I did reverse flys and one-armed bent rows for the pull. I also did two sets of the Swim pull and lots of torator ruff work.

So I made more lemonade out of the weather lemons that we have been dealt. It has been different and only slightly challenging. With the roads covered with ice, I have not done the wheel barrel thing since last Thursday. I want to get back to that because my traps will need to be strong for the Great Geezer Run for Diabetes. I did do some shrugs in the gym. But the wheel barrel works both the traps and conditioning at the same time so it is a superior exercise.

Also, I have a sled ordered. I have a couple of sleds already. But one is made of iron and the only place I have to push it is in the street. The one I ordered has internal magnetic resistance and sits on pneumatic tires so it will be quiet. I don't want to make enemies of my neighbors. My other sled is a tire with an I-hook in it. It has to be pulled. The new one will give me the ability to do unilateral work on the legs as well as add conditioning.

Thank you, Jesus, for a good and different day. My excitement for the run is growing. I find myself looking at Google maps every night and dreaming of the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment