Wednesday, February 3, 2021

No Swim Day

Tuesday is my no-swim day. I teach my film class that day so I am late getting off work. Trying to get in three workouts is more stress than I want so I dropped the swim at the beginning of this semester. After work, I had to run a few errands so I was later than normal getting on the road. I went out the gravel for 3.31 miles. 

I decided then to do the leg thing. Normally my lifting routine is push/pull/legs. This week it has been pull/legs/ and tonight will be push. I started the week with pull because I missed that at the end of last week. Now I have decided to max out on the squat, and I wanted to get that done early in the week since I am doing a half marathon Saturday. So doing the max on Tuesday should give me time to recover and be a bit fresh for Saturday.

On the squat, I did

6 X 45

2 X 95

1 X 115

1 X 125

1 X 145 tied PR

1 X 155 new PR

I know 155 is not much for a squat. That is, however, 25 pounds below my bench press. Most people squat much more than they bench. Not me. You don't have to go back far to find when my PR was 120. Since I have made a commitment to the move, my PR has gone to 135, then 145, and now 155. I was tempted to try 160 last night, but thought I should leave well enough alone. 

I did not do much else. I added some leg extensions, leg curls, and some corator tuff stuff, as usual. So the volume was low but the intensity high. This should not hit my legs too hard, but I will only know after the fact. Last year during the week (the week of the Mississippi River Marathon), I did no leg work and ran only once. For three days I had some kidney stone issues. 

This time, however, I want more miles. My time will probably be slower because I am a year older and ten pounds heavier. The weight is the main thing. But my goal is training not time. I need miles to prepare for the Great Geezer Run for Diabetes. That is my current name for the fundraising run I plan in early May. If you have a suggestion for a name for the run, leave it in the comments below. Thank you. And thank Jesus for good health, motivation, and worthy goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment