Monday, December 20, 2021

BBU 6 and Old Man Problems

BBU 6 was a good one, a solid one, one of big numbers. It started Monday with me looking at the weather forecast and trying to decide if I would run the Grenada half marathon Saturday. The prediction was a bit sketchy at the time. I started, however, training like I was with a mere 4.42 miles for my opening day of the week. In the pool, I busted out 3,400 yards, and in the gym, I lifted heavy and long.

Tuesday I ran another four miler with a 4.34-mile effort. In the pool, I went straight for 4,400 yards. In the gym, I was lifting those weights like I was mad at them.

Wednesday was the day the cable company was supposed to come and get Plate City ready for long treadmill runs and trainer rides. Things didn't work out. They are scheduled to return tomorrow morning. I shuffled 4.11, swam 4,400 with sets, and did some truncated lifting. Wednesdays are like that. 

Thursday I cut the roadwork to 3.1 miles in an effort to do a little bit of a taper. In the pool, I went straight again this time for 4,450 yards. Yeah, I was swimming pretty good numbers most of the week. I lifted again to complete my fourth straight day of three workouts per rising and setting of the sun.

Friday is where the wheels fell off. I ran 2.07 miles, but then fell into a pit of laziness and did not go to the pool, nor did I lift. I just lay around and dreamed of how I should be training. 

Saturday I was in for Grenada and accepted the gracious offer of a ride from BK and her friend, Cyndi. Besides banging my head on the back door of her SUV, I ran the race taking my weekly total to over thirty miles, and my yearly total to over 1,000. I enjoyed the run, and back home I napped and then went to Plate City for double duty. I did Friday's workout and Saturday's. And that included squats on the same legs that I shuffled 13.1 on earlier in the day.

Sunday we had our Christmas party at church. I ate enough food to feed a hungry army for a week. Lord forgive me, but those were some good peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And Frances Barrentine's tea is to die for. Back home, it was naps and a short shuffle of 1.12 miles. That took the streak to 77 days. My knee was gimpy so I only did the minimum.

For the week, I

  ran 32.28 miles,
  swam 15,216 meters, and
  lifted weights five times.

Yeah, that's good training. That's Randy Beetsin training. That is Sasquatch beatsin training. That is summer-fund-raising training. I need a few more months like that. The swimming has to come up. It has been creeping up, but it now needs to bound up. I am signed up for the National Senior Olympics this May. I rather not be embarrassed. I don't expect to win, but I don't want to be humiliated in front of my wife. That is my dilemma right now. I am thinking of maybe doing a full marathon in February. If I do, I need to be running more miles than I am. For the Senior Olympics, I need to be swimming many more meters with some tough sets. There is a tension between the two. When you get to the level that it takes for those two things, they no longer compliment each other but compete for energy, time, and focus.

And not only all of that, but there is my upcoming fund raiser for the DFM. And the 2023 one is so big that it is on my mind everyday now. Yeah, it is that wild, that aggressive, that crazy.

Sigh. Old man problems. To run more miles or swim more meters? Or both? And how about that gym? And my bicycle has hardly been touched. Where will all of this sort itself out? Don't change that channel. Stay tuned for the continuing sage of an elderly man who still likes to play at endurance athletics.

Thank you, Jesus, for a solid week and a nice time at church. Now help me start  my Christmas shopping today or at least by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment