Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Training Partner

I have a training partner.

John?

No. John and I swim together. Sometimes. But he is always late. You know; I have whined about that before. But after two years without, I now have someone to lift with, swim with sometimes, and maybe even take to the fish pond?

Randy Beets moved back?

No. This is a new guy. I got a text from a friend giving me a name and number of someone who wanted to meet me and maybe train with me. So I texted the guy and set up a time to meet at the little pool.

And?

He is a young dude who can swim and wants to learn, to be coached, the get in the best shape he can.

Wow. That sounds right up your alley.

Darn tootin'. He even joined Plate City, and we are working out in the morning.

You working out in the morning? What time, ten o'clock?

Five thirty.

No way.

Yes way. When someone is depending on you, waiting on you, it is easier to get up. 

Interesting. You mentioned the fish pond.

Yeah. We were chatting while we lifted, and the fish pond came up. He is up for that.

Rare.

You're telling me. He has that Randy Beets spirit of adventure about him. I feel like God sent him my way to bless me. And I can bless him by teaching him a lot.

So what did y'all do Monday morning?

Benches. I pushed
  
  20 X 50
  10 X 70
  6 X 105
  5 X 140
  4 X 140
  4 X 140
  4 X 140

Then close grip benches for two sets followed by seated dips.

And him?

He used the same weights I did. He is much stronger, though, so he did more reps. He is a big guy, 6'2'' and 250. He told me that he got up to over 300, and he looked in the mirror one day and said, "No more."

That's where it starts.

Yeah, I have had a mirror moment in the past. Anyway, I swam that afternoon and did

  2,000 40:58
  7 X 150 @ 3:37
    1 - first 50 fast 2:40
    2 - second 50 fast 2:36
    3 - third 50 fast 2:36
    4 - first and last 25 fast 2:36
    5 - first and third 50 fast 2:30
    6 - all fast 2:25
    7 - all easy 2:49
  350 25/25 free/back
  total: 3,400 yards

Pretty solid training.

Darn tootin'.

Did you run?

Darn tootin'. I went out after dark for 4.43 miles.

Congratulations.

Thank you. God is good. I finally feel like I am off work, free. I have a training partner, and my body is mostly healthy. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment