Sunday, December 26, 2021

Christmas Day

Christmas day 2021 was a nice one. We slept a little longer than usual. When we did get up, we were in no hurry. Forrest had to work so we were meeting at his and Paul's that night. Since I thought I might have COVID, I stayed home while Penny went to Hillbilly Heaven. I took some naps, read, and drank coffee. 

By the time she came home, I was feeling better. Penny didn't argue with me when I told her that I was running to Forrest's. She knows how to pick her battles. I only did 1.18 miles, but kept the streak going at 83.

I could not wait to open gifts. Although I mostly shop like my dad did, I bought Penny and Andrea and Forrest some actual presents. At a sprawling flea market south of Florence, Mississippi, I ran across a signed photograph of one of the Golden Girls. Forrest loves them, so I bought the photo and Penny framed it. He was ecstatic. 

When Penny and I made our trip to Arkansas, we went one day to Heber Springs. There we stumbled into a downtown store where I found a silver necklace that framed a mercury dime. I instantly knew it was for Andrea. She was so happy that I almost cried. 

"Did Momma help you?" she asked.

"No."

"Did she teach you how to shop for jewelry?"

"No. I just browse until I find something looks like you. Then I buy it."

"You have a gift for picking out jewelry."

Later she texted me and told me again how much she liked it. That made me feel like a million dollars.

For Penny, I went to Russel's Antiques. I found a ring, and they wrapped it. So I came out OK.

What did I get?

Candy. Some clothing-- good stuff. A lightweight folding knife that I can carry in my running pouch for self protection. And a pie. A Paul Brown pie, and they don't get any better than that.

What kind?

Peach. Is there any other?

Well, I would say yes, there are several other kinds.

Then you have a never eaten a Paul Brown peach pie. You know what they say. 'Once you go peach pie, you never go by.'

Do they say that?

I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment