Thursday, December 9, 2021

New Workout Partner?

I woke up Wednesday morning a free man. Sort of. I won't go into all of that, but I want to be off work. I am. Sort of. I worked on Plate City, took a run, lifted some weight, and took a swim. It was a good day. 

I started by continuing the cleaning and re-arranging of the gym. Things are looking nice out there. I also drove some spikes into the wall for plate holders to begin loading the weights I use most frequently. I have some store bought plate sleeves ordered so I will have to wait on them to arrive before I can finish this process. 

Instead of treadmilling, I went out on the road for an easy 2.51 miles. I did much of it on the Yazoo River Trail. On the way, I stopped my Danny Collins' house and set up breakfast for the next morning. Later, he texted my to ask what day and what time? I guess age happens to us all. 

Back home and after lunch, I continues the gym work with lifting. I love that, to multi-task while weight training. I do a set, then do something else between sets, then go back to the weights. It was a productive day out there.

At 5:15, I met Tyler Kirk at the pool. A mutual friend had arraigned for us to talk. He wanted to train with me so I was in. I'm always in for that. We swam

  1,000 warmup 20:10
  4 X 100 @ 2:23
  200 easy
  brick kick (Yes, Tyler did it too)
  150 easy
  total: 1,750 yards

I like Tyler. He wants to learn, he wants to improve, he is willing to be taught and to work. I like teaching people, sharing my experience and what I have learned from years of this kind of training. Also, he is a surprisingly good swimmer. I didn't know what to expect. We swam the warmup together at about the same speed. He takes the same number of strokes per 25 as I do. I taught him how to do a flip turn, and he picked that up quickly. He struggled, however, on the 100s, but he has never done that sort of swimming. I predict that he will get better at that rapidly. 

He also lifts. We are scheduled to meet at Plate City 5:30 a.m. Monday morning. Do I finally have a workout partner? Maybe. I good one is a nice thing to have. I don't mind working out alone, but when you have a partner and you learn one another, that person can and will push you to do far more than you will do alone.

Thank you, Jesus, for Tyler. Bless him, his health, his swimming, his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment