Saturday, October 3, 2020

Finally Friday

Finally I got to play and have some fun on Friday. Finally. 

Last week was rest day for the Chicot Challenge. And I had to rest, pack, and travel. The FIVE Fridays before, I had to work. FIVE Fridays. Then John wanted to swim this Friday. I told him no. We argued all week. Finally he gave up and realized that this time I meant it.

So what did I do?

At 7:00 a.m. I was sleeping hard and dreaming.

At 7:15 I was drinking coffee and petting cats.

At 7:30 I was mindlessly scrolling through social media.

At 8:00 I was studying for Sunday's sermon.

At 9:00 I was getting my running stuff together, shoes, socks, hydration pack, and Fuelbelt.

At 10:00 I was calling Frances Barrentine to see if she and Junior were going to be home. They weren't.

At 10:30 I was on Money Road, running alone under crystal clear blue skies and enveloped in cool air. I might have had a slight grin on my face. 

Need I say more? I can. I will. 

I felt free with hours to run and nowhere to be. When I got to the church, the Robert Johnson church, I noticed the turn row beside the eastern side of the road. It was freshly graded, smooth, flat, and soft. I crossed the road, shuffled down the side and onto the delta dirt. That lasted about a mile, and then I was back on the asphalt headed north.

I made it to the chute where I ate a Snickers bar still shuffling along. At the northern end of the chute, I turned back towards home 7.63 miles from the Hideout. Two hours later I was home, stretching my calves on the steps before going inside and making a protein shake. A few minutes later I was asleep. One cat was on my legs, another at my side, and a third against my calves. 

Life is good again. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment