Thursday, October 3, 2019

The MDCC Moorhead 5K

Two days in a row, doing a 5K as fast as I could. That's good training right there; I don't care who you are.

When I showed up in front of Student Services, I could tell there was a new sheriff in town. There were tables set up for registration and participants were already there. I was quickly informed that I would be competing against 35 other runners. WHAT!?!?!? I remember when there used to be six of us doing this thing.

There was a new route. I liked it. It made three loops around campus and finished with a lap on the track. It was hot, like yesterday, and after that debacle, I was determined to start a little slower. By the time the walkers all gathered, there must have been fifty of us or more. Wow, just wow!

God was merciful, and we got a cloudover just seconds before the start. The reprieve from the sun lasted almost the whole race, until the last quarter of a mile on the track. It helped. A lot.

I did the first mile in 9:39, a full eight seconds slower than yesterday. That doesn't sound like much, but yesterday I was once averaging 9:07 in that initial mile. Today was easier. Early, like in the first tenth, I got passed, just like yesterday, by someone who came by like an Olympic 400 meter finalist. This time it was not a young man. It was not a thin man. It was Derick Fields, a large muscular man a decade or so younger than me, but a big, strong dude. Unlike yesterday, he did not stop and walk. He did slow some, and for a while we were running about the same speed with him 100 yards ahead.

I was impressed, surprised, shocked. Derrick must weight 240 and to be moving like that was a spectacle. Could he hold it? I watched him like a hungry hawk watches his next meal. Around 1.7 miles I was finally able to reel him in and pass him. As I went around, I patted him on the back and said, "You're a bad man."

Mile two went with me averaging 9:52 for it. That is way, way better than the day before when I had already slowed to 10:55. Mile three was run in fear, fear Derick would catch me with his big self. I sneaked a peak as I rounded the last turn at the Boys' Dorm before we got to the stadium. He was about 100 yards back. He can still get me, I thought, if I show any weakness. I pressed on as hard as I could.

On the track, I looked back when I was in the turn. He was about the same distance away as the last time I looked. He reminded me of an eighteen wheeler, moving fast and threatening to over take me. I ran hard and finished. They held up a tape for me to break and snapped my picture as I did. They did that for everyone. That was new. That was nice. Someone handed me a bottle of water. I took it and found some shade, sat down, and breathed hard for a long time. 

Then I saw Derrick finishing a walking lap. I got up and went to him, offered him my hand, and said, "Respect, man, respect." Derrick is big. He is strong. And to run that well means he has paid a price. That is truly admirable. You inspire me, brother. Thank you.



Yesterday             Today
1 9:31                    9:39
2 10:55                  9:52
3 12:19                 10:01
4 no lap                   9:32

No comments:

Post a Comment