Friday, March 13, 2020

Closed

The world is getting crazy. Quite simply the world, planet earth, is closed for an indefinite period of time. 

I don't have a strong opinion on this. It is just strange to me that so many institutions have closed. All colleges and universities, including the one I work for. Many sporting events, almost all of the NCAA conference basketball championship tournaments have been cancelled. In fact ALL NCAA championships are cancelled. All of them. I'm not sure what all that includes, but I am thinking swimming, gymnastics, track and field, baseball, softball, and basketball. 

I read that last one on Instagram so it might not be true. If it is true, that means March Madness is maddeningly gone.

On Facebook, I am reading every day of some running race, a triathlon, or a cycling event getting axed. I just opened my personal email account to find that the opening ceremonies to the Mississippi State Senior Olympics has been postponed until further notice. I have been training like a madman for some swimming events there in May. Will I get to compete? I don't know. No one knows. How little we control in life.

This has never happened before, not in my lifetime at least. I am sixty-three years old and have lived through swine flu, AIDS, Eboli, West Nile, and many other disease invasions. I have never seen a country freak the way we are freaking. The President closed all traffic to and from Europe. If he has done this anywhere else, I am not aware of it. Why isn't the opposition party calling him a racist for this? That puzzles me most of all. What an opportunity they are letting pass them by.

Over the last couple of days, I've seen notice of some strongman contests cancelled, the recent Arnold was held but without spectators, heck, the NBA suspended its season. What!?!?!?!? Major league baseball is shutdown. What is next? What can be next? Church? The presidential election? Walmart? The grocery store?

The only reason I am typing this is that I am trying to make some sense of it. I understand the logic, but what places this disease with a mortality rate of 3.5 percent, in a unique category, one that no other disease in history has had. And what is with this run on toilet paper? Help me out with that one because I draw a blank when I try to reason out that one.

At least we don't have to worry about an invasion from outer space. They can't do anything to us. Not for a while at least, because the world we live in, planet earth, is closed, cancelled, suspended, postponed, not open for business.

Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment