Thursday, March 19, 2020

Slow Down

I slowed things down Wednesday for several reasons. One reason is that three days of 3:30 a.m is pretty much maxing out for me. I was worn out by the time Wednesday morning's swim was done. Another reason is my lifting schedule changed this week. Normally I do push/pull/legs (Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday and then start over). Since I missed my final two workouts last week, instead of just skipping that pull/legs and starting over with push on Monday (which is what I have always done in the past), I did pull and legs Monday, push Tuesday, leaving me with nothing for Wednesday. It was too soon to work legs again or pull again. I thought about hitting some oft neglected muscles such as my biceps which get a lot of indirect work but little focus on them alone. But after considering how far I planned to swim Thursday, I decided instead to spend some time with River on the couch.

In the water Wednesday morning, I swam

brick
25 back
1,000 22:43
200 3:18
1,000 21:44
100 1:34
1,000 21:20
100 back 2:07
1,000 21:32
500 8:45
200 small paddles
25
brick kick
350 medium paddles
total: 5,500 yards = 5,027 meters

What I did here was my swim meet at the Senior Olympics. I warmed up with 1,000 and then did my first event: 200 yards. I swam another 1,000 and did my second event, the 100 free. I swam another 1,000 and did my third event, the 100 back. After another 1,000, I swam my final event, the 500 free. Now I know I have plenty of endurance to do the four events in Biloxi. 

I'm sure you can see that that was a pretty long practice but not a very fast one. In fact is was slow, disgustingly slow. If I did not know my body and my patterns and what I have been doing, I would be disturbed by these times. Even John asked me afterwards what was wrong with me. I was not nice in my response.

I did run, but only 1.47 miles. After that the whole rest of the day was consumed with taking it easy on the couch. The front door was open and I could see the traffic outside. Then a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford slowed down and took a look at me. River had a great time. So did I.

Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment