Thursday, March 12, 2020

SB Day Three

I said I was going to do Randy Beetsdown training my whole vacation, and three days in that is what I have done. For Day Three, I hit three workouts for the third day in a row. Not only that, but I put together, mounted, and worked out with a new machine from Titan. More about that later.

First I started (drum roll, what do you think?) with a swim. I went in early. John was supposed to meet me but he was a no show. I could have been sleeping. Instead, I swam

brick
25 back
1,000 22:16
500 10:40
1,100 back 27:10 (new Association of Sports Swimmers world record)
400 small paddles
50 back for time :57 (new Association of Sports Swimmers world record)
250 medium paddles
25
brick kick
200 small paddles 5:02
300 Redneck IM 6:41 (new Association of Sports Swimmers world record)
total: 3,850 yards - 3,518 meters

That was a pretty good practice with three new world records. The the volume, though, was not as high as I would have liked nor was the intensity where it needed to be. But I was up early and I was alone and it was the day after a ten-mile run. The long runs always leave me a little flat in the pool the next day.

Before noon came I was on the road for 4.11 miles. This is one of the advantages of swimming early-- it is easier to get a lot of stuff in because you get some of it done before the world wakes up. They were slow miles, but I was out there working for my road races as well as my swimming. To me, running is in part cross-training for swimming now. That is how I view it and that view helps keep me motivated when I shuffle along at an embarrassingly slow pace.

After lunch, I went to Plate City to work on the cable machine and to work out. I finished putting the machine together (it came in yesterday), got in mounted, and used it some. Despite Wednesday being leg day, I did some cable work for my rear delts and some facepulls. I am going to love this piece of equipment, and it should be great for my shoulder health. I work my rotator cuffs a lot, but the rear delts are difficult to target and thus get skipped. Plus, they play a major role in keeping the shoulders balanced and stabilized. All the pressing (both horizontal and vertical), plus the swimming overdevelop the muscles on the front side of the chest and the shoulders. This pulls the shoulder joint out of alignment and leads to impingement, and other maladies. A swimmer with unhappy shoulders is a dangerous person. I was once dangerous for eighteen months straight. Eighteen months straight!

So there you have it. Another day of Beetsdown training, more fun, more fitness. Not only that, but another advancement in Plate City Gym. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment