Saturday, March 28, 2020

I Feel Sadly

Did that one, the title, catch your attention? I hope it did because if you would say, write, or think "I feel sadly," we cannot be friends.

I've never heard it and for good reason. The reason being that it is not English, it is not English syntax. We don't put words together like that. We don't feel sadly, sickly, or any other adverb you can place there.

If you know where I am going with this, I owe you a cookie or a cup of coffee. I want to am issuing a cease and desist order from the horrid phrase, "I feel badly." Stop it. Stop it! No you don't!!. You feel bad.

To feel badly is like-- between you and I-- someone trying to speak correctly but missing it badly. See what I did there? Between you and I is wrong, and yes, you can miss it badly but not feel badly because "feel" is an intransitive verb. Do not use adverbs as the objects of intransitive verbs. Use adjectives. I feel sad, I feel blue, I feel bad. 

If you say I feel badly in my presence, you run the risk of physical attack.

You have been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment