Saturday, March 28, 2020

Three with an Exclamation

I thought Friday might be the day. You just never know. You get in the pool and see what your body will allow. I tapped out at 4,900 yards. I felt the pec, not pain, but I thought, "You've had a good week. Don't press the issue. Better sorry than safe." That swim brought me to 25,000 meters.

I did a small shuffle, 2.77 miles. This was the second day I ran in heat. What I call heat now. Later I will call 85 and breezy, fall, but right now it is heat. Then I went to Plate City. Because my schedule has been thrown off, nothing was really recovered so I thought I would work biceps, Swim Pulls, and some cable stuff. The biceps get some indirect work when you do back, but I rarely work them directly. I don't know why I don't, I just don't. So I thought it would be a good time. Sometimes in the water, especially when I do backstroke, I feel them. So I need to work them.

I did some rotator cuff stuff, some Swim Pulls, and four set of dumbbell curls. On the last set of curls, I tossed the thirty pound dumbell onto the rack and it jumped off. The rack is springy. Yes, the angle iron the rack is made of has a bounce to it. I picked the dumbbell up and from a lower height dropped it onto the rack. The dumbbell bounce up, grabbed my right index finger and pulled it under itself while it fell back onto the rack.

Really, you can't make this up. Somehow my finger finished under the dumbbell. I didn't know how bad I was hurt. I just knew it was tremendously painful, and I was bleeding like a sack of flour (that's my new writing gimmick, a simile that doesn't make sense). I ran inside and cried for Mommie. Penny nursed me up, and I think I am going to live. I have a bruise on the top side and a cut on the bottom side. 

Now I am limited. Do I swim? Can I lift? I know I can shuffle. I can lift light. I can type. What about the water? I know what a doctor would say. That's one reason I almost never go to one.

Sigh.

Thank you, Jesus, for another good day. And thank you that my finger was not wounded worse than it was. It could have been bad. A thirty pound dumbbell, angle iron, and a human finger. That is not a good combo. If you go to the gym, place the dumbbells back on the rack gently. Please, take note. Place the dumbbell down gently. If you don't, the finger you damage could be your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment