Monday, December 14, 2020

12/7 - 12/13

My second week of quadrathon training was a little light but still solid. Monday I did not swim because I went to Madison and bought the power rack. I did do a short shuffle of 1.72 miles and hit the bench press pretty hard.

Tuesday I was in the pool for 2,250 yards of sets. For some reason which I did not put in my handwritten training journal, I failed to run. I did, however, lift weights. Wednesday saw me doing all three. On the road, I did my longest of the week with 4.62 miles. In the pool, I hit 3,000 yards doing my old faithful X 100s set. In the gym I hit the legs like I was mad at them.

Thursday I swam for 3,100 yards, shuffled for 2.02 miles and lifted on the bench and accessories. Friday I did my straight swim. I am easing that up and got it to 4,800. Once a week I like to do that. It balances out the training and builds not only that low-end endurance that is so important for open-water swimming, but it fosters a mindset, an endurance mindset that is essential in swimming, running, cycling, and life itself.

Saturday, I swam. It was just a short one, but it helped up the total volume, something else that is important for open-water as well as pool swimming. I did a brick, or maybe I should say I did a little chunk of one. I pedaled for 10:00 minutes and then shuffled for 2.03 miles. Later in the day, I lifted a lot for the legs and the deadlift.

For the week, I

swam 13,315 meters,

ran 11.61 miles,

lifted weights six times, and 

pedaled 33:45 minutes.

That is not bad, especially when you consider that I am in the off season. I am building the base that I will need for the quadrathon. What else will I do? I don't know how the world will behave this spring. Will we have races? runs and triathlons? Will the Senior Olympics come off? I will only know when we get there, but I can do the quadrathon. I don't need anyone's permission. Thank you, Jesus, for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment