Monday, December 21, 2020

The City of New Orleans

I go off on tangents now and then. One manifestation of this is music. A few years back, I became obsessed with "American Pie." I was a teenager when the song played on the radio. I was hanging out with the Pine Street Gang at the time and we used to sing along with the chorus while riding to the pumping station west of town where we illicitly smoked cigarettes, threw rocks, and talked about girls. 

I heard it again on the radio a few years back. I asked my son, Forrest, who wrote and sang that song and he immediately answered, "Don McLean." He's smart like that. Forrest is a connoisseur of music, all genres, all periods. "Could you make me a CD of that song?" I pleaded. "Sure, Dad." And he did.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't wear out a CD. I wore that one out. I found the song fascinating, and I think I even figured it out.

Recently I have had the same kind of obsession with the the "City of New Orleans." This classic song was written in 1971 by Steve Goodman, the same songwriter who wrote "You Never Even Call Me by my Name." A number of big name artists like Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and others recorded the song. The best version, however, was done my Arlo Guthrie in 1972.

Like "American Pie," I heard it again on the radio, and like "American Pie," nostalgia, good music, and fascinating lyrics that I never heard as a teenager, drew me in and captured my imagination. Thanks to YouTube, I can and do access this poem almost daily. If you have not read this song in a while, give it a go. If you are from Greenwood, Mississippi, give it a double go. Why? you ask. Let me tell you.

Another of my obsessions is Google Maps. Scarcely a day passes that I am not on their figuring things out, dreaming of running and cycling routes, just looking around. Recently, like last night, I clicked another view. There is Satellite view, Map view, and something else. I just looked and could not find it. Maybe it was Transition view. I found it then and on a lark clicked it.

Anyway, when I clicked that view, immediately the railroad track that is about 300 yards from the Hideout, popped up and it was labelled, The City of New Orleans.

Huh? What? 

That got my heart beating faster. I did some googling and found that sure enough, the Illinois Central line that runs through our little town goes by the name The City of New Orleans. It runs from New Orleans to Chicago and inspired that song by Goodman. Who knew? Maybe you did, but I had no clue. I find that exciting and I will never look at that nondescript railroad track the same again. I will take pride in crossing the famous City of New Orleans.

Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment