Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Here It Is, The Big Reveal

Here is the big reveal. Drum roll please. For 2021, instead of the Chicot Challenge, I am doing the first annual (maybe) and first ever quadrathon.

Huh?

Allow me to explain, please.

I invented a new sport so when I do this thing, I will be the world record holder and world champion. Not bad for an old man, right?

One caveat. I googled quadrathon just to see if it exists somewhere. There is something people call a quadarathon: four marathons or half marathons on four successive days. But my sport is different.

I plan to do a quadrathon somewhat like a triathlon. That is four sports put together into one. The sports you ask? Swimming, running, cycling, and powerlifting. How about that?

Before I get into a description of how I plan to conduct this new contest, let me explain some of the benefits and why it appeals to me so much. First, the run to Ridgeland (Hey, that would be a good name for that when I do it) would take more run training than I am comfortable programming at this time. For the quadrathon, I can ease back into my run training without the need to ramp up the mileage too quickly.

Second, although I will have to train the swim, the swim yardage will not have to get crazy like it does for Chicot. Third, I will have to keep the lifting up. For Chicot, I have to start reducing the running and lifting to free up time, energy, and recovery for all of that swimming.

And that is the fourth benefit. I will have to be in better all-around shape to do this. Not only that, but fifthly, I will have to get the bike condition up as well. Last year, I attempted a 64-mile triathlon to celebrate my birthday. Because my cycle training was suspect, I found the bicycle leg difficult and my legs totally shot after the ride. Thankfully, the race director shortened the run due to the extreme heat that day. I made it 60 miles.

So how am I planning to line all of this up? First, I plan to do an early morning wake up run of about 2.5 miles. Then I will conduct a powerlifting meet at Plate City Gym. A standard powerlifting competition includes the squat, bench press, and deadlift in that order. To keep with the theme of four, I am adding a lift, the log press. So I will work up the a one rep max on the squat, bench, deadlift, and log press.

Then I plan to run to Twin Rivers and do either a four-mile swim or four one-mile swims. After that I will run home and transition to the bicycle. On the bike, I plan a 50-mile ride out Money Road.

After returning from the bicycle ride, I will finish the day with about a four or five mile run. The total mileage will be sixty five equaling my age. Yes, I hope to do this on my birthday, June 2nd, weather permitting. 

And I just thought of another benefit of this new sport. Logistically, it is pretty simple. I can do it all by myself and furthermore, there is no expense involved. I could use a crew if someone or some folks want to help, but a crew is not essential. I can sleep in my own bed the night before and spend the next day playing and having fun. 

I am anticipating this thing to take twelve hours or more to complete. The total time is not an issue with me. I am not shooting for an overall time. Powerlifting meets are not speed events. You have to rest between attempts if you want to move good weight.

The totals will look like this: run, 11 miles; swim, four miles; cycle, 50 miles; and max out on four lifts. To my knowledge, no one has ever done this. That gets me excited.

So what do you think? Leave me some comments or suggestions below.

No comments:

Post a Comment