Tuesday, July 16, 2019

"I'll be in the pool in five minutes."

I was supposed to meet John at the pool at 7:00 o'clock. He called at 6:32 a.m. and said, "I am getting in the pool in five minutes."

Hmmm.

I failed to get in a hurry. I showed up and 7:14, and the first thing I noticed is that John's car was not in the parking lot. Was he at Walmart, Sheila? I should have shot straight for the little pool so I could do some serious sets. Instead I naively went to the big pool thinking John would show up. You know how this dance goes. 

I was also hoping to get to swim in the rain. There was no lightning as far as I could tell which is unusual for this region. Swimming in the rain is one of life's simple pleasures. It had rained all morning until I got into the pool, and it rained when I climbed out. But while I swam, I was bereft of that coveted experience of swimming in a downpour. I swam

1,300 meters and picked eleven cents off the bottom of the pool. Big haul.

We had class at 10:15, our first test, and then we started Oedipus the King. I had to pick Penny up for lunch because her truck wouldn't crank this morning. I jumped it then tried unsuccessfully to take a nap. Since the third Monday of each month is Over 60s at First Baptist in Itta Bena, I decided I needed to do some really long running to keep from swelling up to bad. I went out in the drizzle and shuffled for 11.34 miles, my longest in three years, breaking what I did on the Fourth of July by .34 miles.

Last month I became seriously ill in the early morning hours after Over 60s. I remember wondering then if I would ever be able to eat fish again. It wasn't the fish that made me sick. I am sure a stomach virus was the culprit. But it happened after the big meal of catfish.

I did eat, but I did not enjoy it as much as I always have. But that is good news on two fronts. One, I can still eat catfish. Two, I did not overeat. Last week I gained weight. With the big shuffle and the light meal, I dropped from Monday to Tuesday which is unusual unheard of following a catfish feast.

Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment