Friday, July 19, 2019

Slow Down

Thursday was a bit of a slow down. I needed it. Having to work Thursday night meant something was going to have to be left off. I decided the something would be somethings. I decided I needed to lift and swimming is almost always on.

I was supposed to meet John at the pool at 7:00 a.m. He wasn't there and I gave in indolence. I swam

800
100 small paddles
4 X 50 medium paddles @ whatever
100 small paddles
total: 1,200 long course meters

I continue to amaze myself at how lax I can get. 

After school and after lunch, I went to Plate City. I only lifted once last week, and this time around was shaping up to be another sub-level week so I forced myself out the door. I am trying some new stuff, moving towards a new training system. I'm thinking about the conjugate, the Louie Simmons method. If you don't know who Louie is, he runs the most successful powerlifting gym in the country, Westside Barbell. He is not only involved in powerlifting, but he trains professional athletes and Olympians as well. His method comes from his experience (he was a very accomplished lifter) and the old Soviet Union training systems. They, the Soviets, took a more scientific approach to strength training from the beginning. 

I did some speed benches Thursday, something I have never done before. The loading pattern is light, but I was surprised at how my muscles felt after only six sets of three reps at 50% of one rep max. That is 80 pounds, which is light even for me. The reason I only did six sets is this was the first time I have done this workout, and I thought discretion may actually be the better part of valor. The typical conjugate calls for nine sets or more. I plan to add one set per week until I hit the nine. I also plan to add a chain next week. I don't have bands, but they are on my list now. Speed benches are supposed to be done with chains or bands. I have chains.

I'm excited about trying new things with the weights. Praise be to Jesus who has given me the health to have some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment