Friday, July 5, 2019

July 4th

I didn't check my records, but I think it's been since 2016 that I ran to Hillbilly Heaven on the 4th. I haven't been able the past few years on account of injuries. I have missed this tradition of mine. Even now, I knew I was pushing things a bit, that my fitness was a little short for that, but I was close enough that I had to roll the dice, to go for it whether I could pull it off or not.

I left the house shuffling west on Monroe at 9:10 a.m. On my back was a hydration pack with 50 ounces of Gatorade. My Fuelbelt held a mere single eight ounce bottle, my emergency stash of liquid. My phone said the temperature was 80 when I began my journey. It quickly warmed, however. I crossed the bridge on Highway 82, crossed Strong Avenue and ran the frontage road to the overpass.

With the overpass conquered, I crossed the highway and shuffled the frontage road on the south side of 82 until I got to MacDonald's where I turned onto Humphrey's Highway and headed south. The traffic was heavy but lightened as I got further and further from town. I was only around those first subdivisions just past the Country Club when Penny pulled up and asked if I was OK. She was early, too early for me to know if all was well. She always leaves earlier than she tells me she is and catches me too soon into the journey. An hour after she drove off, I knew I was going to run short on liquid. 

When I got to the old Sun Williams house, I thought I would check to equipment shed next door and try to find some water. Someone came out of the house and I asked permission to get water next door. He went inside and emerged a half minute later with a 16.9 ounce bottle of cold water and handed it to me with a smile. Thank you, Jesus.

I drank that whole thing within 100 yards and stuffed the empty bottle into my pocket. I felt I could make it then, but still I knew I didn't have an abundance of liquid left. I turned at Don Corley's house because it is shorter that way, and I knew I was not fit enough to go the long way up the big hill. I shuffled to the concrete bridge and began to walk. I had done eleven miles and although I could still run, I thought it wise to stop since my longest run in three years was an 8.7 miler a week ago.

I drank the last of my Gatorade and then I only had the little bottle of water left. By the grace of God, I storm blew up dropping the temperature and soaking me with cool rain that took my excessive body heat away. I even caught the rain drops that dripped from the brim of my hat and licked them off my hand. It was now past 12:30, and I wondered if anyone was worried about me. I could use a ride, would accept one. 

I walked all the way to the foot of the gravel hill and then I saw a dark Nissan truck coming down. It was Penny. Thank you, Jesus. I first told her to turn around, I wanted to walk up the hill. While she was turning, I decided that I had had enough exercise for one day. I got into the bed of the truck because it has cloth seats, and I was soaking wet.

Believe it or not, I was temperate with my eating and spent much of the day napping on the couch. Late in the afternoon, we watch A Dog's Purpose. That dehydrated me more than the eleven-mile run. Powerful. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment