Saturday, July 6, 2019

July 5th

I didn't do one single second of exercise the day after the 4th. Penny and I had already planned to go to Jackson. I thought I might get up and swim, but I rested in instead.

We left about 10:00 a.m., and I had my bicycle in the back of the truck. We took it to the Bicycle Revolution in Gluckstadt. The front derailleur wasn't working and she needed a couple of other things. Since they opened, they are now my bike shop of choice over Indian Cycle. The main reason for that is Jayce Powell. As Penny said, "Jayce was Indian Cycle." My sentiments precisely.

We left the bike and headed to Academy Sports in Madison. There I looked for a replacement bite valve for my Camelbak hydration pack. They didn't have any. I did pick up a cheap cycling jersey while I was there. I like to run in them especially in the winter. I know we are in the height of summer, but winter will make its way around. The one I bought is a short sleeve, but I can wear long sleeves under it. I like them because they are brightly colored and thus help you to be seen by the traffic. Not only that, but the rear pockets are great for holding a toboggan, gloves, and other things that come on and off during long winter runs.

After Academy Sports, we went to Jackson. I dropped Penny at one of her stores then I headed to Play It Again Sports. That is my favorite shopping spots. I love to browse their weight plates. I didn't buy any plates, however. I have so many now that I can't use any more. I did buy some collars and a baseball bat. The bat is for hitting a tire. The idea is to stimulate the fast twitch fibers in the muscles I use for swimming. I have tried this before with a sledge hammer and it produced some irritation to my rotator cuffs. That was disappointing to me. I finally hatched the idea of trying a baseball bat. Since it is so much lighter, maybe I can do it without damage.

After shopping, Penny and I went to PF Chang for supper. It was great as it always is. Then we headed back to the bike shop to pick up my steed. She is now ready to ride, and ride I must if I don't want to embarrass myself by walking on the track at the Heart O' Dixie Triathlon. Even though I have running a bit, without riding, I can't do the ride there and then get off the bike and run. I learned that the hard way.

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for a good day of rest, recreation, and time with the wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment