Saturday, May 23, 2020

Down to Two

I went to the Hideout Friday morning. Nothing was happening there so I went then back to Plate City Gym where I did a huge weight session. Since I missed Thursday's lifting, I doubled up. One of the things on the agenda was my density training on the bench press. I warmed up and then got set to do the eight sets. I hoped to do one extra rep and cut five seconds off the time. On the first set I thought, man this feels heavy. I did two reps and I knew I could not do the workout as planned.

What was wrong? Had I lost that much strength because I was only benching once per week now? Or had I missed figured last week and been pushing only 117 when I thought it was 127? I decided the answer was yes. I pulled five pounds off the bar and did three reps. Determined to get a workout despite my disappointing strength, I pulled another five pounds and did five reps. I kept going this way until I was doing decent reps, and I was able to do the math in my head and realized that I had started at 147. No wonder it felt heavy. And how could I miss count so badly? I even used pen and paper and still managed to miss it by forty pounds! I have a genius for stupidity.

So what now? Will I try to count right and do it again next week? Will I go back to benching twice per week? I am not sure, but I'll do something. I did ten sets of bench presses and several sets of lat pull downs and some Swim Pulls. Then I took nutrition, loaded my truck with weights to go to Plate City Strongman, and headed over. The carpenter was supposed to meet me there with a price on some more work. I unloaded about four hundred pounds of plates but did not see the carpenter. So I went home and prepared for my long shuffle.

I went out Money Road on the hottest day of the year thus far. It hit 90, but I had some wind which helped greatly, and a few cloud overs kept me from overheating. I shuffled 11.1 miles and the pace was truly pathetic. Some miles were slower than walking pace. No joke. But I kept shuffling until I finished to run. 

So I only did two workouts, a big weight session and a long run. It was real. It was good. I'm not sure,, however, that it was real good. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment