Monday, May 4, 2020

Chipmunk

I sometimes can hardly believe how soft I have become in my old age. I don't hunt anymore in part because being a marathon swimmer leaves little time or energy for much else. But largely I just don't want to shoot anything. I have done my share of shooting, but over the past few years, death seems haunting to me, even the deaths of wild animals. Monday morning, I made my way over the Tallahatchie Bridge, as I often do, only to be greeted by a sight that rent my heart. On the side of the road, just off the pavement, I spied a chipmunk. 

I shuffled over to where he lay. Something was obviously wrong. I took a small stick and poked him. His eyes were opened, but he did not move. He had no apparent injuries, and he was subdued enough that I picked him up and moved him to some shade because I knew where he was would only get hotter plus he was in danger of being run over. I prayed and asked God to touch his body. I left him lying a little off the road at the base of a telephone pole. He lay flat on the ground. His breathing was shallow and rapid. His condition troubled me.

Several hours later, I drove out there to check on him. When I turned onto Wade Road, I could see the little fellow over there where I left him. Dead I was sure and throughout the day I had settled on the idea that he had been snake bitten. But when I got out of my truck and walked over to him, I could see that he was still alive. He had curled up, like a napping cat, and appeared to be sleeping. His breathing was deeper and slower. I touched him. He didn't move. I petted him and prayed for him again. His beauty struck me as a testimony to the glory of God. 

His illness struck me as a testimony to the horrors of sin. Death is a constant reminder of the high price of sin. This little fellow has not done anything wrong. He can't. But he, nevertheless, suffers because of Adams fall. One day the curse will be lifted. The older I get, the more I yearn for that time.

Notice how his tail curls around his
body like a cat. That is not the
posture he had when I left
him there in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment