Friday, May 8, 2020

Waiting

Friday morning I awoke to the sound of rain outside the windows of 333 West Monroe Avenue. "It's going to do this all day," Penny informed me. Great, I thought. I don't mind rainy days, but I do find it hard to get things done on them. And I had a long list of things to get done. 

One thing I wanted to get done was to move some more weights to the hideout. Not happening. Another thing I wanted to do was to run a long way. Maybe it's happening but maybe not. The rain is cold, and I am a cold sissy. Furthermore, I wanted to get a pair of new tires on my truck. I drove over the Mike Rose's Front End Service. He was closed. In addition to all of that, an electrician was supposed to come to the hideout. Want to take odds on whether or not he shows? I plan to at least swim this afternoon. That is when he will call despite the fact that he is supposed to call this morning.

I hate waiting because I learned decades ago that if you will wait, that is all you will do. For instance, I have been waiting twenty-eight years for nine electricians. I'm getting deja vu here. Have I told you that I have been waiting thirty years for a woman to call and apologize to me? She gave me my all-time butt chewing, which I did not deserve. I patiently took it, but I did not appreciate it and thought surely she will suffer conviction for this and call and make things right. Never happened.

Even lately I have been waiting, waiting on concrete men, on carpenters, on people who said I will call you tonight, tomorrow, the next day. They never do. Is it me or is this the way the world works? Yes, I know the answer to that question. I just need to vent a little bit. I does help.

Oh, I didn't mention the tree man who was supposed to cut two trees for me. "I'll get you Monday morning," he told me. He didn't. Nor did he come Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, nor today.

And what about that stimulus check? I've been waiting. What's the trick to getting that? I've done my taxes, wrote my check, and licked an envelope. But no check although people were posting all over Facebook about getting theirs. One business owner even told me that he had seen an uptick in business due to stimulus money. 

Sigh.

The cats aren't even in here with me. They are all asleep on the back porch. I pine away while I wait on them. I guess waiting is part of life. It is, however, the part I enjoy the least. Didn't Brad Pitt write a song about waiting?

Thank you, Jesus, anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment