Saturday, May 30, 2020

One or Two

Everything is all mixed up right now. Penny and I are back and forth to the Hideout so much that my schedule is non-scheduled. Friday I did one or two workouts. 

Huh? 

Yeah, depends on how you count them. I guess it was actually one, a brick. I did my first brick of the year.

What's a brick?

A brick is a piece of triathlon jargon that refers to a combination bicycle ride and run. You take a ride and then get off the bike and run.

So what is the big deal?

It's not easy running off the bicycle. You hip flexors are tight, your legs are tired, and your legs are tired in a non-running way. The quads are pretty much blown out while everything else is OK. So when you start running, it feels odd, it feels bad, and you feel foolish.

That bad?

Usually. Depends a lot on how far and how hard you ride. You get better with the transition the more times you do it.

Well, how did it go?

For my first brick of the season, it was not too bad. I cycled out Money Road turning around at 11.4 miles. On the way back, I heard a racket and looked back to see a John Deere tractor gaining on me. I went to the big chain ring on the front, picket up some speed, and when he came around, I up shifted in the back and latched on.

Latched on?

So to speak. I got behind him and drafted him all the way to town.

Does that really make a difference?

Huge. That sped me up about three-miles per hour and the effort went way down.

Isn't that dangerous?

In my mind, it is safer than riding alone.

How do you figure?

No one in a car is going to hit me all long as they have to hit the tractor too. 

What if he stops quickly?

Have you ever seen a tractor stop quickly?

*shrug

You have to pay attention. The biggest danger is something in the road. You can't see the road so you could hit a pot hole or an object lying there. But it is not a reckless activity. I don't do reckless activities.

OK. Where did you ride from?

The Hideout. My first ride from the Hideout and my first brick from the Hideout.

The run. Tell me about the run.

It was not too bad. My pace was about as slow as usual. I went 3.06 miles, my short course from over there.

What else did you do?

Move stuff. I did not swim. I did not lift, except furniture. The FBI allowed Sheila to come back by and I thought, two women and a truck, lets move stuff. So I went to Bowie, got the box truck and we went to Monroe and loaded it.

The whole truck.

Yes. Sheila is very strong. And she works hard. She sweats like a trooper and never complains. She even brought us a gift when she arrived. She is one of my favorite people in all the world.

And Simon, did Simon work?

He did, but the high-tech security fence is coming along slowly. But it is happening. I am happy as long as things are happening.

Well, congratulations.

Thank you. And thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment