Saturday, May 9, 2020

In the Morning

If you remember my rant about waiting, it hit me in the butt Friday. Waiting that is, not the rant. Someone was supposed to do some work "in the morning." That is a pretty big window. For most people, that means sometime between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon. I would have answered a call and gotten in my truck at 7:00 and all the way to 1:00. That expands the window to six hours. If you can't hit a six hour slot, you are not dependable.

I did termite work for twenty-nine years. I had lots of appointments. I know you can't always be there at the exact time you plan. Things happen. A job takes longer than expected. Your truck has a flat. You have to find the job site in unfamiliar territory. But I can say that I never missed a six hour window, and in this day of cell phones, how about an update call? Hey, I'm running late; look for me in an hour.

I missed a workout because of waiting on someone. 

Well, you say, that's not really a big deal. I beg to differ. It may be true that working out is a hobby, but it is also a part of my ministry. 

What? You need to explain that. 

OK, I will. God has called me not only to preach, but also to swim. As you may know, I do a fund raiser for the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi each year. It takes lots of training to do that. Don't ask me to explain how I know God called me to do that. It is a long story. But He did. I know what you are thinking: they survived before you and they will survive after you are gone. God will raise up someone else to do the work. Yes you are correct, but the point in my soul is right now I am the one, and I must be obedient to what God has called me to do.

But it is just one workout, you muse. I know, but believe me, if I did not staunchly defend every single training session, I would never get any of them done. Not. A. One. It is always something, and I am in a season of life right now where I will be waiting on lots of people. This is going to produce some conflict with folks so I would appreciate your prayers.

So I did nothing but wait Friday morning. After lunch I went to the pool. While I was in the water, I missed about fifteen phone calls. Yeah, I figured that would happen. See, if I had waited I would have missed ALL my workouts for the day. At the pool, I swam a simple straight swim of 5,300 yards. Then I went to the hideout to find that my wife had gone there to let people in. The one who was supposed to come "in the morning" was not there, did not come, and when I called him, he said "In the morning." When I asked him what "in the morning" meant, he got a little pissy with me. 

I went home a lifted weights and piled up a few more plates to throw over the fence "in the morning." I am supposed to meet more than one person there. I will not wait all morning or even much of it. I already asked what "in the morning" meant and received no answer.

God is good. The great weather continues, and exciting things are happening with Penny and me. There is some frustration coming along for the ride. There always is. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment