Wednesday, July 22, 2020

All the Cats Are Here

We started having cat problems before we moved. Most of the cats stopped using the litter box. Go figure. River, on the other hand, continued to do the right thing. Consequently, when we moved, the first cat we brought over was little River. For two whole weeks, he was the sole lord of the new house. He ran, stayed up all night, played, stole potpourri, and generally just loved life.

Next, I brought CC over. I hate to admit that I have a favorite, but I do and CC is it. We got her at our church, Centerville Baptist. Someone dumped her there. She looked the congregation over one Sunday after service, picked my out, and asked me to take her home. Penny said I could so I did. She hangs out with me constantly. I love that. At the new house, she hid for a few hours before emerging. Then she re-established the old routine of napping in my lap. And thanks be to God, she began to use the litter box. Thank you, Jesus.

A couple of weeks after bringing CC over, I brought Luvie over. He only hid for about an hour. Then he started hanging with me. This created problems with CC. She is the only cat I have ever had that was possessive of me. In the past, she would not have another cat napping on my chest or lap. She would make them move. But now, she backed off and from the hallway just glared at Luvie and me. Attempts to coax her onto the bed failed. Why did she not just take her place like she always did in the past? Again, in answer to prayer, Luvie, who would urinate in his water bowl at the old house, took to using the litter box. Thank you, Jesus.

The last cat at the old house was Baby Kitty. Baby Kitty is a strange cookie. He always has been. He is the most non-aggressive tom I have ever known. He will not fight and he has always been the object of the other cats' bullying. Luvie rides him, CC beats him up regularly, and River chases him. All Baby Kitty wants is to be left alone. 

Jeff, our deceased weenie dog, was Baby Kitty's best friend. The last couple of years of Jeff's life, Baby Kitty would hide in the morning before we went to work. We put the cats on the back porch when we weren't home. But BK would hide so he got to stay in. When we would come home, BK and Jeff would be napping together on the couch. 

Baby Kitty napping while I type this blog post.

When Jeff died, BK was the only cat that came into the living room and sniffed Jeff's coffin. He has never been the same since. He would not walk through the living room anymore. When we let him inside, he would run through the living room and hide in another part of the house for days at a time. He got so thin, we were afraid he was going to starve to death. Even when he was the last cat at Monroe, I would go over and he would come out, but then hide again after a minute or two.

When I brought Baby Kitty over, he did hide. But he came out after a few hours and climbed up on the bed with me. That is where he has been ever since. He is terrified of River. All River wants to do is play, but BK wants to be left alone. He is using the litter box. Thank you, Jesus. He spends his time on the bed, preferably with me in it because he knows, like Jeff, I will make the other cats leave him alone.

CC? She is still giving me the cold shoulder. That upsets me terribly. No one can take her place, but she does not seem to know that. She will speak to me when I get out of bed, but that is the only time. If I put her on the bed, she jumps down. I don't know what to do. But I am happy that all of our animals are now with us. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment