Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Right Three

I like to think I got back on track Tuesday. At least I did three workouts and the right three at that.

I was waiting again, waiting on an HVAC man. He finally texted and asked if I was home. We had an issue with the air unit. When he got that squared away, I showed him Plate City and asked about getting some power to it. He is also an electrician. We planned it out, and he said he would get it when he caught up with all the air conditioning work. So I am waiting again. 

Running was all the working out I did in the morning, 4.31 miles. But with my top on the gym, I can now lift anytime of the day. Before, with no shade in the afternoon, I would not lift then. Besides the general heat, the bars and plates would get so hot in the sun that they literally burned me. I did push which looked like this on the bench:

14 X 102
13 X 107
12 X 107
11 X 107
10 X 112
10 X 102

On the Viking press, I pressed

16 X 40
13 X 50
10 X 55

Of course I did rotator cuff work and face pulls.

Since I dropped the bicycle, I had time to swim after 5:00. I went to Twin Rivers at about 5:30 and the big pool was empty. I swam 3,300 straight, long course meters. It was jolly good fun, and I felt like I got a pretty good workout. I have to keep the swimming going now to make Chicot happen.

While there, I saw and chatted with T Mac Howard, who operates Delta Street Academy, a local ministry for disadvantaged youth. I offered him my services as a swimmer. They have a big fund-raising effort every year. He seemed excited about the prospects. We will have to wait and see. I have offered myself to numerous causes. No one has taken me up on it yet except the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi. 

I'd like to use my swimming to help someone else if that is possible. The thing is, it is possible. I twice contacted French Camp Academy. They do a big fund raiser each year. They also have a nice lake and a radio station that could push the swim. They never got back with me. 

I offered to swim for a church in Alabama. No response. I met a physician from Grenada at a race who goes on a medical mission each year. I offered to swim for them. Crickets. Linda Whittington, if you are reading this, I would be happy to do a swim for Greenwood Mentoring Group if you guys think you could make it work. I will swim, have my own crew to take care of me, sign a waiver absolving y'all of any responsibility if I get injured or die, publicize the event, and it won't cost you guys a dime.

Like Lefty in Townes Van Zandt's song, I am getting old. I don't want the dust in my mouth when I get too old to swim long.

Thank you, Jesus, for the gift of swimming. Help me to find avenues to use it to help others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment