Thursday, July 23, 2020

On the Red Line of Too Hot

I only did two Wednesday, but they were big one was big. I took a long run, but not before lounging long in the morning. The coffee was good, Baby Kitty was hanging out with me, and I wrote two blog posts.

By the time I got on the road, it was almost 10:00 a.m. That is too late for a long run this time of the year. I deal with heat pretty well, but not as well as I used to. In 1980, the hottest year of my 64, people would stop their cars and watch me while I ran in the extreme heat. The temperature would be 100 or more. In those days we did not have a heat index. Most likely it would have been 110 - 115, maybe higher. Not a problem.

And I did not even have a hydration system then. Not a problem. But I am no longer a young man. Still, I run in the heat while trying to avoid the extremes, and looking for shade, something that never even entered my thoughts until about two years ago. And I wear a hydration pack. 

Thursday, the heat got to me a bit.

Early in the run, I had a couple of cloud overs. I thanked God out loud for them. One time I asked Him for eleven minutes. I did not time it, but I am sure the sun was hid for at least that long. Eventually, however, the cloud overs left despite my prayers. 

While I was on West Claiborne Extended, I noticed that occasionally the breeze would die. When it did, I could feel my body heat rising quickly. It is amazing how much a gently breeze can help cool a hot human body. 

When I was 7.4 miles into the run, I was on the north frontage road of Highway 82 between Fort Pemberton and Wall Mart. I spied a patch of shade about three feet in diameter. I stopped and sat on the road in that shade.

I have a pretty good thermostat, and I trust myself in heat. I have always read that you will not know when you are getting too hot. I knew. I have known in the past. Several times. I stayed in that shade about seven minutes, drank water, and took a gel. My body cooled a little. 

Then I started back shuffling. My thoughts of a fourteen miler were dashed at this point. When I got into town, I stopped again on West Wilson Street between two houses. I sat on the edge of the road. When I left, there was a puddle of sweat where I sat that looked like someone had dumped a five gallon bucket of water there.

At home (I finished with 11.42 miles), I drank a glass of milk and ate a banana. Not long after that, I drank a whey protein shake. A few minutes later, I ate lunch, sloppy joes warmed up from the night before. By then I had stopped sweating, and I started on the liquids. I went to sleep on the coach and was awakened by a foot cramp. I ate a bag of potato chips in response.

I did not feel well, and determined not to swim. If you read this blog, you know how rare that is. I only did a little bit of lifting, some light squats while I worked on Plate City. I was only out there about thirty minutes and I soaked another set of clothing. 

It was a good day. I did not die in the heat. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment