Saturday, June 20, 2020

Another Dream

Last night, I had another running dream. Sort of. It began with me talking to a recruiter for Wesley Biblical Seminary. She was standing on her front porch, a young woman in her twenties, and I was standing on her walkway. We chatted and I finally told her that I had a degree from there. She responded that she knew. When I asked her how she knew, she said she could just tell, you can always tell a Wesley graduate.

Then some muscle guy with his shirt off riding in the back seat of a red convertible was drinking copious amounts of syrup. It was truly an amazing sight. I asked the recruiter if she saw that. She did not so I said, lets follow him and he will do it again. 

We started after the car on foot. The syrup man turned over a large drainage ditch into a neighborhood of shade, big trees, and well-spaced houses. Then I noticed another road crossing the ditch. "Let's go this way and cut him off," was my suggestion. I was running. The road was asphalt, then dirt, turning into a rutty mess. It became sandy, and finally I was approaching a hill of lose dirt and sand. I was alone now and hearing a sound behind me, I looked back and saw a dump truck bearing down on me. I ran faster, jumped off the road into the woods, and kept moving as fast as I could. The trees were small and close together. At times, I had to turn sideways to squeeze between two. I thought the truck driver was going to get out and chase me. There ended the dream.

Amazingly, that is a form of a dream that I have often wondered why I did not have often. In the past, I have run on Money Road after dark and approaching the Tallahatchie bridge, and car was almost always bearing down on my from behind. I would pick up the pace and try to get to the catwalk before the car got to me. I wondered every time that happened if I would have a bad dream about that. It seems like a natural insecurity. This was the first one, at least the first one I remember. They say you do not remember a dream unless it happens only moments before you awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment