Saturday, June 6, 2020

Run Rant

I think I've ranted on this before, and considering the numbers who read this blog, this won't be anything more than my chance to vent a little and write. Writing is something I do daily, sometimes several times per day. 

I have been asked 132 times this past week, "How many miles do you run per day?" I always have a bit of trouble answering the question because I don't run per day. I usually run four to six times per week. Do they want to know how much I run per week divided my seven. Or maybe divided by four, or divided my six, or divided my five?

The question assumes the runner runs the same distance every day. That is never the case. I have short runs, medium runs, and long runs and those terms are constantly being re-defined by my changing fitness level. 

Maybe you figured it out. The question is the wrong one. The real question to ask a runner is "How many miles do you average per week?" I can answer that one. Since the first of 2020, I have averaged a little better than 20 miles per week. If you divide that by seven, you come up with less than three miles per day. If you divide it by five (the number of days I typically run in a week), you come up with four. So how many miles do I run per day? I'm still confused about that myself.

The week is the basic training block for a runner. It is also part of creation. God made the world in six days and rested on the seventh. If God took a day off, that's a pretty solid indicator that you and I should also. I rarely run seven days in one week. I have, but when I do, my legs don't like me very much. You know the old saying: Happy legs, happy life. Or something like that.

So the next time you see your neighbor shuffling down the street, don't ask her how many miles she runs per day. What is the correct question? You got it, "How many miles do you average per week?" That question has an answer and a meaning and she can answer it. 

Pass this along, please. I am tired of being stupefied when someone wants to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment