Sunday, September 20, 2020

300 Oaks

It was a touch of normalcy during a year when the world is turned upside down. The 300 Oaks that is. We had it Saturday and for a little while it seemed like old times. Even there, however, signs of our crazy world were evident. Some people wore masks. We lined up to start the 10K on pre-drawn marks designed to keep us socially distanced. The crowd was small compared to past years. But we were there, and I was doing my first race since February. 

The weather was perfect and I mean absolutely perfect. I ran the following pace per mile

1 - 9:50

2 - 9:58

3 - 10:05

4 - 10:26

5 - 10:42

6 - 10:25

7 - 8:10

That gave me a 1:02:55.1 which was good enough for first place in the men's 60+ division. Notice 60+. I was looking forward to ageing up next summer, going into the 65 to 69 age group, but all the last runs I have done have dropped the older groups. Dude, I lived a long time to get to where I can race old men. I want my old man group.

The drama of the day happened when a fat man-- it's usually a fat woman, but not this time-- passed me in the first mile. I said to myself, he will come back after a while. He did not. I only saw him again after four miles when we were on the linear park trail. I chased him for over a mile and caught him a little past the five-mile mark. He fought back when I tried to pass him. After I got in front of him, I was running scared. He is the reason that mile six pace drops. 

After it was over, I was satisfied. That was about what I expected to be able to do. When I checked last year's training diary, however, I was horrified to find that I ran a little faster then. And last year was hot, very hot. Dude, am I getting old? I know I am, but I have so many more miles under my belt this year, plus all the weight training, squats, leg presses, and other moves. I have even done some interval work lately.

Next year I have to run faster. I have to. I am a few pounds heavier this year than last. So I need to lose weight, keep the mileage up, increase the strength training, and do more interval training. After all, I now have to compete with men from 60 to 100. That is a forty year span. Lord, help me. And Lord thank you for the race, for the weather, and for the health to take a stab at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment