Thursday, September 24, 2020

Chicot Nerves

 I always get them, a case of nerves before Chicot, but this time there is something new: a sense of dread. I am dreadful, fearful, apprehensive about Saturday's big swim for several reasons. One reason in my lack of training. I have trained and for much of the year I have trained hard. As Chicot approached, however, I have found it more and more difficult to get in the volume of work I am accustomed to. This difficulty has in large part been due to work. Our school president has declared war on his faculty. I am hugely overworked and severely stressed. This stress has hit Chicot prep right between the eyes.

Not only am I concerned about the lack of the long swim that I like for my physical and mental well being, I am somewhat concerned about the water temperature. Monday was the last time I swam outdoors. The water felt like it was 77 or 78 degrees Fahrenheit. I can do that, but that is getting a little cool. Since then, the nights have dropped into the 60s and for two days the sun has not shown while the cold rain has fallen. The result is that the water temps cannot do anything except go down. Will I be able to endure eight hours of swimming in cool water?

Another concern is the lack of a pontoon boat. COVID has affected even that. Without the big boat, the crew shrinks. The larger the crew the better I perform. It just works that way. The pontoon makes it possible for Penny to be on board. I am always motivated to show out for her. Gerald is bringing his fishing boat. I don't know if Penny will come along on it or not. If she does, that is a long time in a fishing boat without comfortable seats.

In short, I am not confident that this will go well. In the past, I have said that confidence is overrated. I do believe that. Audacity is the thing. I have audacity. But sometimes audacity meets its match. Will it Saturday in the cool waters of Lake Chicot? Only God knows and time will tell. Please pray for us, for me, for the swim. And donate. Give the the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi in the name of the Chicot Challenge.

   Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi

   800 Avery Blvd, Suite 100

   Ridgeland, Mississippi 39157

Or give online at msdiabetes.org

No comments:

Post a Comment